Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Mummies - Never Been Caught (1992)

loud, fast and out of control garage punk
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zWZrZpaAsr4/RwWevmhFtdI/AAAAAAAAAE0/CFpOFRHwA38/s320/mummies.jpg
It is not the most original idea to combine Garage Rock and Punk Rock. Some of the first uses of the term "Punk Rock" came from describing what we know today as Garage for the Nuggets compilation. The Garage songs that people have really hung onto over the years are the fast, loud and angry ones. The Mummies are not the most original band. A great deal of their material is comprised of cover songs. I used to dislike them because I thought their toilet paper suits were gimmicky. Despite the strikes against them, I gave them a listen courtesy of doctorfuckwit. Jesus Christ was I wrong. This album will make you drop to the floor in a puddle of ear blood and your melted face. I don't even think their costumes are gimmicky anymore because any good garage band knows their live shows have to make up for their sloppy music. These guys don't need the costumes but I like to picture punk-mummies jumping around. It's a bunch of trashy, lo-fi noise that keeps true to the music I love.

Listen if you like: The Sonics, The Gories, The Oblivians, any incarnations of Billy Childish

My favorites: Stronger Than Dirt, Sooprize Package for Mr. Mineo, Skinny Minnie, Jezebel

Rapidshare Download

Link Found Here (great blog)

1 comment: